An Open Letter To Maryland Horsemen
The current Board of Directors of the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association is extremely pleased by the large number of candidates who have expressed an interest in donating their time to serve as members of the MTHA Board. These are unpaid positions occupied by horsemen whose sole mission is to give back to the racing community.
A stated goal of the current Board of Directors upon their election in 2014 was to make the business of the association accessible, transparent and open to all. We strongly feel we have accomplished that goal and then some.
Our organization is proud to conduct regular open Board meetings and to encourage input and participation by non-Board members in meetings and committee deliberations. We always welcome constructive input from anyone.
The current MTHA Board has shown strong leadership that has produced meaningful results over their current three-year term. Highlights of the current Board’s accomplishments include:
- The addition of 14 racing days to the calendar.
- All-time high purses.
- A financially strong Purse Account.
- The restoration of Sunday racing.
- A new Summer meet.
- The reorganization of the MTHA and Maryland Horsemen’s Assistance Fund to create the Maryland Horsemen’s Assistance Foundation which streamlined benevolence for the racing community.
- The creation of the renowned HORSEMEN’S HEALTH SYSTEM, featuring a ground-breaking partnership with MEDSTAR.
- The creation of the BEYOND THE WIRE AFTERCARE PROGRAM, featuring participation from MHBA, MJC and Maryland jockeys.
- The creation of MARYLAND PRIDE DAY.
- The creation of the innovative new FANTASY OWNER DAY which has produced many new owners.
- Vastly improved relations with industry partners and stakeholders that has ushered in a spirit of unity and cooperation for the best interests of Maryland racing, unseen anywhere else throughout the nation in racing.
- A drastically improved and expanded recreation program.
- A new shuttle van service for backstretch workers.
- An expedited purse release program.
- An expanded and improved Backstretch pension program.
- A revamped counseling program.
- A coordinated, unified and unprecedented legislative initiative that has continued MTHA’s strong and effective presence for horsemen in Annapolis.A modernized communications strategy.
- Leadership on issues affecting horsemen nationally.
- And much more.
The current Board has shown steadfast leadership and has helped propel Maryland racing forward into a bright future. However, we need to maintain our progress, as there is much still to be achieved.
With the upcoming MTHA Board of Directors election fast approaching, there has never been a more important choice for members as to which direction our Board heads.
In the next few days, licensed owners and trainers in Maryland should receive a ballot for the 2017 Board of Director’s election. We strongly feel your choice is clear and we hope you allow us to finish our job to keep Maryland racing moving forward.
Please consider sharing this message on Facebook or Twitter.
Timothy L. Keefe